Four years ago, as we were preparing to move from Neverland, I decided to make the most of our last month living there by creating a project called, ‘31 Days Where YOU Are‘. I set up a Facebook page and invited friends to participate. I was thrilled to see loved ones from all over the country participate. It made the month so special and allowed our family to savor our last few days there.
I have exciting news!! In the month of July, we are hosting an exchange student from Paris, France. I’ve been thinking about how to make the experience special for our family and our new friend. The thought occurred to me to do another 31 Days Project. Her family has given me permission to document the month on this blog. So I’ve created a list of daily things to do.
Who wants to join us? Check out the list and if you like what you see, hop on board! I double-dog dare you!
- Make a memorable introduction.
- Patronize a local ‘Mom and Pop’ shop.
- Watch a good ol’ Utah sunrise.
- Create something patriotic.
- Visit a local cemetery and place flowers on some of the graves.
- Do something really nice for someone.
- Take a picture of the top ten things you love about where you live.
- Take a nap outside.
- Find a local dessert shop. Eat dessert for dinner
- Create a fancy dinner…don’t forget dessert!
- Trade your phone for a camera. Turn off the TV, unplug and do something completely spontaneous.
- Find someone with a campaign bumper sticker or lawn sign from an opposing candidate and write them a nice (really and truly nice) note of encouragement. Even if you’d rather gouge your own eyeballs out, leave it for them to read…it’ll hurt much less. I promise.
- Serve someone in the community.
- Attempt to create French cuisine. If it turns out edible, compare and contrast it to the real thing.
- Explore a local haunt and discover something new.
- Escape to nature, if possible, spend the evening stargazing.
- Find an obscure place to explore.
- Experience the sunset somewhere you can really appreciate it.
- Howl at the full moon.
- Spend the day recording acts of kindness you witness.
- Watch a classic French movie. Then watch a classic American one.
- Think of someone who’s made this month unforgettable and bring them flowers.
- Find a unique keepsake.
- Create a list of questions to ask local people…then find a place to chat and ask these questions.
- Discover a local museum.
- Pick out your favorite house in the area. You know, the one you always notice. Take a picture of it. Bonus if you knock on the door and meet the people inside.
- Introduce each other to your top ten favorite songs.
- Acquire a unique souvenir to commemorate this month’s adventures.
- Explore a grocery store and find a food you’ve never tried and dare yourself to try it.
- Do something completely and utterly spontaneous.
- Write a letter. Slap some postage on it and actually send it in the mail.
You’ve got 4 days!